Saturday, May 2, 2009

Almost There

Well, it's been a month since I last posted anything, and I really don't have much to say as of yet. I took my art final today, and have my math final on Monday, and then I am done. It doesn't seem possible that I'm actually graduating. Now to find a job. Oh how I need a job.

It is an almost impossibly beautiful day here today. Sixty-six degrees, sunny, light breeze, and all the flowering trees are abloom. The forsythia is done, but the crab apple, plum, and lilac are all in flower. The daffodils are ending but the tulips are now blazing away. The lawns are full of golden dandelions and violets, and there are bluebells in the trashy lot behind our apartment house, making the area almost lovely. Soon there will be peonies and iris, and the bridal wreath is gracing many a path already.

I love this time of year, almost as much as I love October in Iowa, the most beautiful month in my opinion. It's glorious. On days like these, I wonder how anyone could forsake the glory of the returning spring for a seasonless climate. In fairness, I even wonder this in January, when the snow lies deep and there is just the tiny splash of red that is our resident cardinal to mark the grey, black and white plane. The only time I really don't like is when it's 90+ degrees with matching humidity. That I do hate.

But it's good for the corn. Or so they say.

2 comments:

  1. The highly changeable climate of the midwest is rather enjoyable, though it takes some time to come to appreciate it. I'm not sure how I would feel living year-round in the largely static climate of California or the slightly gentler climate of the East Coast. I agree, though, that this time of year is glorious. Tuesday May 5th was especially beautiful in Chicago, very sunny, warm but not hot, with just a slight cool breeze. The trees are all in bloom and the grass is growing almost frighteningly fast. It just feels and smells so alive!

    Congratulations on graduating, and hope your finals went well. I know that you have some challenging stuff ahead of you, finding a job. The absolute best of luck to you, and hope you can get something you actually enjoy, which lets you use all the skills you have worked for, and which engages your interests. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the kind wishes, atheist!

    I haven't been to Chicago in years. I loved Chicago. In my memory it is always late August, with a warm wind blowing through the streets.

    ReplyDelete